Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Sweet 100: Day 98 - The day has come. Finally.

Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

Before the 100th day, the younger plant has finally set fruit!

All the previous speculations, worries, anxiety... become unnecessary and stupid when I saw some round little green balls hanging down from where the flowers used to be.

This year, the fall has arrived earlier than usual. The weather has gotten a lot cooler than previous years. The temperature ranges from 24 to 29 degree Celsius. It's the perfect temperature for cherry tomatoes to grow. The relative humidity is 60% - 85%. This is simply the best time!

The older plant is taller than me now. Yet, there's no sign of setting fruit.

The younger one has at least 4 fruits, at least that's what I have found. The branches that receive the most sunlight have more fruits. They are still very small. Green. The biggest one has a diameter of 8mm - roughly. I am very excited!!!!

Both plants grow more vigorously when they get taller. There are more branches in the upper part than the lower part. Their overall shape is like an inverted pyramid. They are top heavy - as said by one of the gardeners on YouTube.

I did not do any serious artificial pollination although I once tried desperately with a pair of scissors. However, the fruits are definitely not the result of it. I am sure.

I have also changed one strategy recently. I used to get rid of suckers as soon as I saw them emerging. But since 1-2 weeks ago, I have decided to let them grow. I think it's helpful. Leaves are like solar-cells. The more solar cells you have, the more solar energy you can absorb. With solar energy, photosynthesis makes more food - glucose - for the plants and most importantly for the little cherry tomatoes!










One can only connect the dots - looking backwards. As said by Steve Jobs.



No comments:

Post a Comment