Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 42: Radish Cherry Belle - Failure Review

It's been 42 days. The rightmost pot is a total failure. I hope I can learn the lesson. Otherwise, the time, energy, money -- all that would be wasted.

Here is my review.


The radishes in the rightmost pot are the thinnest and smallest compared with the other pots. Why? I think it might have to do with:

  1. the shape of the pot: The bowl-shaped pot does hold water as well as the others do. I found that the soil was pretty dry after I dug up all the radishes.
  2. the way the seeds were sowed: When I sowed the seeds 42 days ago, I just kind of sprinkled them on top of the soil and then covered them up by sweeping the soil surface with my hands. As a result, the root system of the plants did not get to develop as healthily as they would have if the seeds had been sowed deeper into the soil.
  3. overcrowding:  I sowed too many seeds in that small pot. So, the radishes competed against one another for sunlight. So, most of them developed unusually long red stem in order to position themselves for the best spot for the sun. The thing is, the red stem part is the part that would have developed into the "meat" if it were in the soil.
Take a look at their roots. They were very shallow:




After killing them all in the rightmost post, I have sowed another round of radish seeds - but this time in a different way than before:
  1. I made holes in the soil with a pencil. Each hole is about an inch deep. I placed one seed in each hole. That should allow the root systems to develop more healthily.
  2. I held back my greed and sowed 7 seeds only. They are at least 2 inches apart from one another. Hopefully, they won't be overcrowded.
  3. I gave it 2 bottles of water after seeding. The soil was soaked and wet.

That makes today the first day of my second batch of radishes - the 7 disciples. 



On a side note, the rectangular container has one radish setting fruit. How did it make it? I will save the review for next time. At least, it gives me some comfort.





2 comments:

  1. Hi there!! I am growing radishes right now and have the same issue... did you figure out why the little one made it? I don't have overcrowding issue but I am in Seattle so it has not been very warm this summer. My radishes do gets some good sunlight thought.. (I am on west side, and the whole afternoon is sunny).

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, sorry for the late reply.

    In retrospect, I think I planted too many radishes in too small an area. Plus, I grew them in the wrong season - summer.

    I am growing them again right now. It's almost winter. This time around I am giving them more space to grow. I hope they will get bigger this time.

    I will write a new post if things go well :)

    ReplyDelete