Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Sweet 100: Day 70

Hurray! Hurray! The two plants have started to flower since the beginning of the week!
The flowers are yellow. Very small. Some are still closed and waiting to open up.

I did some research on the pollination of cherry tomato flowers.  Cherry tomatoes are self-pollinators. That means both the male and female parts are in the same flower. But it still takes the power of wind or the vibration of bumble bees' wings to help to get the pollen grains to the stigma.

In indoor environment, growers shake the stem by hand or vibrate it by electrical toothbrush to help pollination.

I used my electrical toothbrush with my two plants today, and will do it again tomorrow.

I am looking forward to seeing some fruits next week.






No comments:

Post a Comment